In this episode of Time For a Reset: The Marketing Podcast with Global Leaders, Nick King, Global Practices Lead at CvE, sits down with Tom Langley, Head of Personalisation and Retail Media at John Lewis Partnership. The John Lewis Partnership is the UK’s largest employee-owned business and the parent company of two legacy brands – John Lewis and Waitrose. For over 90 years, the Partnership has operated as a force for good with the core objective of developing fair and sustainable relationship with all stakeholders, including customers, suppliers, and communities.
The engaging discussion covers Tom’s role in creating new data-led customer propositions and capabilities for the group’s brands and the need to press the reset button to prioritise marketing and brand building in retail organisations. Tom also highlights the importance of data and technology in personalisation efforts and how it can simplify the marketers’ job by automating routine tasks. The conversation also covers privacy and data protection and the Partnership’s sustainability drive.
You can also get an excellent overview of the main highlights and discussion points by reading our blog piece of the episode.
Join them as they discuss:
- The role of marketing and brand building at the the board level of retail companies
- How invested are senior marketers with the technology stack
- Using AI and ML-driven data science to deliver value exchanges
- Walking the thin line between personalisation and customer data privacy
- A beyond the horizon look into the role of retail media
- Overcoming the challenge of measuring the ROI of retail media
- Sustainability as a part of the Partnership’s DNA
- Advice for young marketing professionals
As Head of Personalisation and Retail Media at the Partnership, Tom’s role focuses on evolving and scaling the retail media services of the brand for the benefit of its customers, advertisers and the Partnership. Prior to joining the Partnership, Tom spent 15 years at Dunnhumby, working with Tesco and other retailers around the world to design and build their retail media businesses. Tom is a passionate and energetic business leader with extensive experience in digital marketing and E-Commerce at Retail and FMCG brands. He is adept at dealing with complex and innovative data sources and using customer data science to understand and improve shopper experience.
The full transcript is available here.